The Ultimate Guide to Perfect Jumbo Box Braids
Hello beautiful people! Are you ready to change up your style with some fabulous jumbo box braids? This is the perfect article for you. With this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about jumbo box braids, from how to get them to how to maintain and style them. So, let’s get started!
Jumbo box braids are a popular protective hairstyle that has been around for decades. This style is achieved by parting the hair into sections and braiding them with extensions, creating jumbo-sized braids that offer a stunning and protective look. Jumbo box braids are perfect for people with natural hair who want to give their hair a break from daily styling or protect it from damage.
Before we dive into the details, let’s first look at the basic steps and materials that you’ll need to achieve amazing jumbo box braids.
Step 1: Materials
The first step in achieving jumbo box braids is gathering materials. You’ll need braiding hair extensions, a rat-tail comb, a spray bottle with water, hair ties, and hair clips. The most popular braiding hair extensions used for jumbo box braids include Kanekalon and Xpression synthetic hair extensions.
Step 2: Preparation
The second step is to prepare your hair. Detangle your natural hair, wash it, and dry it thoroughly. It’s crucial to make sure your hair is moisturized before braiding; you can use leave-in conditioner to keep your hair healthy and strong.
Step 3: Parting Your Hair
The third step is to part your hair into sections. The number of sections you’ll need depends on the thickness of your hair and the desired size of the braids. The bigger the braid, the fewer sections you’ll need.
Step 4: Adding Extensions
Adding extensions is the fourth step. Begin by taking a small section of your hair and a piece of braiding extension hair, fold the extension in half, and place it on your scalp. You should have three strands of hair, two of your hair and one of the extension. Braid your hair using the extension hair by crossing the left strand over the middle, then the right over the middle in a continuous pattern.
Step 5: Braiding
Braid your hair from the root to the end, incorporating more extension hair as you go. Make sure your braids are tight but not too tight, as tight braids may cause hair breakage.
Step 6: Trimming
The final step is to trim off any excess extension hair and neaten up the ends of your braids.
Benefits of Jumbo Box Braids
1. Protective Style: Jumbo box braids are an excellent protective style. They keep your natural hair tucked away, thereby protecting it from damage caused by daily styling or environmental factors.
2. Versatility: Jumbo box braids are versatile and can be styled in numerous ways. You can style them in a bun, ponytail, or leave them down.
3. Low Maintenance: Jumbo box braids require low maintenance. You can keep them in for up to two months with proper maintenance.
4. Length: Jumbo box braids can give you the length you desire without the wait.
5. Trendy: Jumbo box braids are a trendy and fashionable hairstyle that can enhance your overall look.
Maintenance Tips for Jumbo Box Braids
1. Moisturize: Moisturize your scalp and hair regularly with a leave-in conditioner to prevent drying and breakage of hair.
2. Wash properly: You should wash your jumbo box braids every two weeks to get rid of product buildup and accumulated dirt. Use lukewarm water and a sulfate-free shampoo to avoid frizz and breakage.
3. Protect your hair at night: Sleep with a satin or silk scarf or bonnet to protect your braids from friction that can cause frizz and breakage.
4. Avoid over-styling: Try to avoid styling your braids too often, as this can weaken the roots and cause tension on the hair follicles.
5. Trim regularly: Trim your braids every six to eight weeks to avoid split ends and keep them looking neat.
|Braiding Hair Extensions||Kanekalon and Xpression synthetic hair extensions|
|Preparation||Detangle hair, wash, dry, and moisturize|
|Parting Hair||Depends on thickness and desired size of braids|
|Braiding||Braid tightly but not too tight to avoid breakage|
|Maintenance||Moisturize, wash properly every two weeks, protect hair at night, avoid over-styling, trim regularly every six to eight weeks|
1. How long do jumbo box braids last?
Jumbo box braids can last up to two months with proper maintenance.
2. Can I wash my jumbo box braids?
Yes, you can. It’s essential to wash your braids every two weeks to get rid of product buildup and accumulated dirt. Use lukewarm water and a sulfate-free shampoo to avoid frizz and breakage.
3. How often should I moisturize my jumbo box braids?
You should moisturize your scalp and hair regularly with a leave-in conditioner to prevent drying and breakage of hair.
4. How can I maintain my edges while wearing jumbo box braids?
You can maintain your edges by regularly applying a light oil or edge control around the hairline before tying it down with a scarf or bonnet at night.
5. Can I swim with jumbo box braids?
Yes, you can. However, ensure you thoroughly rinse your braids with fresh water after swimming in chlorinated pools or salt water to avoid drying out your hair.
6. How can I style my jumbo box braids?
You can style your jumbo box braids in a bun, ponytail, or leave them down. The possibilities are endless.
7. Can I straighten my jumbo box braids?
It’s not advisable to straighten your jumbo box braids as it can damage the braids and your natural hair.
8. Can I color my jumbo box braids?
Yes, you can color your jumbo box braids. It’s essential to use a gentle hair dye and avoid using bleach, as it will damage your braids and hair.
9. How can I prevent frizz on my jumbo box braids?
You can prevent frizz by washing your hair with lukewarm water and sulfate-free shampoo, using a leave-in conditioner, and sleeping with a satin or silk scarf or bonnet.
10. How can I get my jumbo box braids to look neater?
Trim your braids every six to eight weeks to avoid split ends and keep them looking neat.
11. Can jumbo box braids cause hair loss?
If done correctly, jumbo box braids won’t cause hair loss. However, if braided too tightly, they may cause hair breakage and hairline damage.
12. How long does it take to install jumbo box braids?
The time it takes to install jumbo box braids depends on the size and length of the braids, but it typically takes between 3 to 6 hours.
13. How can I remove my jumbo box braids?
You can remove your jumbo box braids by cutting off the extensions and unraveling the braids carefully to avoid damaging your natural hair.
Now that you have learned everything you need to know about jumbo box braids, it’s time to get that stunning and protective hairstyle you’ve always wanted. Remember to take care of your braids with proper maintenance to ensure they stay beautiful and last longer. Share this article with your friends and family who might want to try out this amazing hairstyle.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out and let us know. We are always here to help. Thank you for reading!
Closing Statement With Disclaimer
The information provided in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as medical, legal, or professional advice. Before trying any hairstyle, including jumbo box braids, consult your hairstylist or medical professional to ensure it’s right for you based on your specific needs and conditions. We cannot be held responsible for any negative consequences that may result from following the information provided in this article.